Following the Path

Following the Path
Laid Out Before Me

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Little Green Machine


Little Green Machine

I can remember as little kid my Dad telling my brothers, sisters and I that if we wanted a car then we would have to buy it ourselves. Both of my brothers had boughten their first cars by their sixteenth birthdays, and both of my sisters had waited until they were seventeen and eighteen. I started working towards the car goal when I was ten. By the time, I was fourteen, almost 15 I had enough money saved up to buy a car. My Dad’s friend had this little green Fiat convertible sitting in his garage, but not running. The car was in beautiful condition other than needing engine work. I got the car home and went straight to work on it. Within the first day of having the car home, my brother and I had already pulled the engine out and had started cleaning it up, getting ready to rebuild it. I believe it took about 2 months of ordering parts and putting it back together before I could drive it.
It did not take long to realize that this was not a good car for the Alaska winters, so I put it up for sale. I had done some research on the car, so I knew it was rare. All of the documents I could find described the car as a 1970½. I advertised this car for sale for 2000.00 more than I had invested into it and in hindsight, I should have asked more. We had only advertised it in the paper for two days when a person from Fairbanks paid the asking price after seeing pictures of the car. For a first car and a first car deal, I think I did pretty well for myself. By the time I that I had reached my sixteenth birthday, I was on my third car. I would have to say that as a youngster I was a little more ambitious

1 comment:

  1. Classic cars are the best! My mom had an Olds 442 when i was little. With a rebuilt engine it was cool and fast! Classic cars always make summer days and nights so much better! Good job Glen!

    ReplyDelete